IX International Congress on Industrial Heritage
Trends and new representations
May 11th – 13th of 2022
Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico
Hybrid mode (virtual and in person)
In 2014, a group of specialists from the Industrial Heritage of Nuevo Leon organized a round table that, from historical research and the memory of its protagonists, addressed the cultural and social significance of the extinct “Compañía Fundidora de Fierro y Acero de Monterey” (Monterrey´s Iron and Steel Foundry Company). The different voices of those who maintain the legacy of a company that marked the cultural past and present of Nuevo Leon were found in this event. Over time, this meeting has been consolidated in the international Spanish-speaking world.
The Committee for the Conservation of the Industrial Heritage of Nuevo Leon, in accordance with its mission, celebrates its IX International Congress on Industrial Heritage in 2022. Trends and new representations. To provide a space for the meeting of ideas, projects, and experiences of the situation of industrial heritage at an international level, on this occasion under a hybrid mode (in person and virtual).
As a prelude to the X Latin American Colloquium on Industrial Heritage, of the TICCIH International, which will take place in the city of Monterrey in 2023, academics, officials, artists, cultural promoters, as well undergraduate and postgraduate students are invited to present proposals in the form of presentations under the following:
1. Territories and industrial spaces: studies and explorations of heritage: Exhibition of results of disciplinary and interdisciplinary research, case studies, projects proposed by social, private, or public sectors or the combination of these on industrial heritage in its material and immaterial dimensions.
2. History of industrial heritage, collective and working-class memory: Exhibition of works and experiences around the material and immaterial features of industrial heritage, represented in productive spaces, social organization, neighborhoods, collective and family festivities, from the lived and transmitted experience in a generational way.
3. Documentation, archives, and industrial inventories: Exhibition of works and experiences that allow knowing the existence, potential and challenges faced by documentary collections and inventories for the management, disclosure, valuation, and legislation of industrial heritage.
4. Intervention and artistic-cultural features of industrial heritage: Exhibition of proposals and experiences of artistic intervention in the conservation, restoration, and preservation of the values of industrial heritage.
5. Management and new technologies for the dissemination of industrial heritage: Exhibition of experiences related to the management of sites, parks, museums, itineraries, or tours of industrial heritage. It is the articulating thematic line of this edition of the Congress, its importance lies in the emergence of new proposals, forms of dissemination and disclosure of the values of industrial heritage, in the context of the new normality.
Characteristics of the lecture
It is considered a lecture the oral exposition of advances or conclusion of investigations, project proposals and experiences around the theme of the congress.
To submit proposals, the following instructions must be followed:
– Send a summary of the lecture in a Word document format; Arial font, size 12 point, single spacing, justified margins and must contain a minimum of 250 words and a maximum of 300.
– The first and only page must include: title, centered, written in uppercase and lowercase letters in bold and no more than twenty words. Full name of the person who proposes it, without abbreviations, starting with the name followed by surnames, the form in which it appears will be used throughout the organization process as well as the proving documents. Full name of the affiliated institution (if applicable). Contact E-Mail. Thematic line in which your proposal is inserted. Abstract and three keywords.
– In a separate Word document, send a curricular profile indicating full name and main curriculum features. The document should not exceed half a letter size page
– The abstract and curriculum profiles should only be sent to the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Proposals that do not adhere to the established format will not be considered for evaluation. The Academic Committee of the IX International Congress on Industrial Heritage. Tendencies and new representations will orally evaluate the summaries for the presentation of the paper and will communicate their acceptance or rejection.
– The maximum number of authors per lectures is two. Only one abstract can be submitted at a time per author.
– Date of reception of abstracts for lectures: from December 1st, 2021, to March 12th, 2022. The communication of results will be given 15 business days after the reception of your proposal.
Hybrid mode of the Congress
The activities of the Congress will take place from May 11th to 13th, 2022, in person and virtually. The face-to-face capacity will be defined shortly in accordance with the evolution of sanitary conditions. The virtual modality will be supported in the institutional media (YouTube channel and Facebook Live) of El Colegio de la Frontera Norte (www.colef.mx) and Facebook Live of the Congress (@cipindustrial).
– Each speaker will have 15 minutes to present their work supported by Power Point material or any visual resource. In the event that the paper has more than one author, only one may present it.
– At the end of the presentations of the table, a round of Q&A will be opened. The public that follows the virtual transmission will be able to interact through the live chat with their comments, which the moderator will transmit to those who participate in the Congress.
– The Organizing Committee of the Congress grants a certificate of participation to the speakers of the Congress, not attendees (either in person or virtual).
– Remote participants must have a stable internet connection, a computer or laptop with a camera and microphone, or any mobile device that supports the BlueJeans platform.
Activities during the Congress
Within the virtual modality of the Congress, various activities will be carried out:
– Master lectures
– Dialogue table with former workers
– Tours of sites of heritage interest. Soon, the modality of the tours (face-to-face and/or virtual) will be defined.
The activities of the Congress, in person or virtual, are free of charge for lectures, assistance, nor require any paid subscription to any platform.
December 1st, 2021 Reception of works begins
March 12th, 2022 Last day for reception of lectures
March 31st, 2022 Results communications limit
April 20th, 2022 General Program Layout
May 11th-13th, 2022 IX International Congress on Industrial Heritage.
Trends and new representations
Organizing Committee Institutions
Consejo para la Cultura y las Artes de Nuevo León (CONARTE)
Parque Fundidora (Fundidora Park)
Archivo Histórico de Fundidora (Fundidora Historical Archive)
Museo del Acero horno3
El Colegio de la Frontera Norte (El Colef)
Universidad Autónoma de Nuevo León (UANL)
Colección Histórica FEMSA (FEMSA Historical Collection)
Grupo Patrimonio Industrial de México: Conservación, Estudios, Divulgación (PIMCED).
Alberto Casillas / Mexico
Ana Cristina Mancillas / Mexico
Angélica Pérez / Mexico
Camilo Contreras / Mexico
César Morado / Mexico
Eleocadio Martínez / Mexico
Francisco Núñez / Mexico
Gustavo Vázquez / Mexico
Jacobo Castillo / Mexico
Jesús Ávila / Mexico (+)
Luis Escalante / Mexico
Marion Steiner / Chile
Manuel Esparza / Mexico
Marta Piñeyro / Mexico
Roberto Lara / Mexico
Rubén Larios / Guatemala